Current:Home > reviewsGeorge Santos due in court, expected to plead guilty in fraud case, AP source says -Capitatum
George Santos due in court, expected to plead guilty in fraud case, AP source says
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:41:50
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos is due in court Monday afternoon, where a person familiar with the matter has said the New York Republican is expected to plead guilty to multiple counts in his federal fraud case.
The person could not publicly discuss details of the plea and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Santos and his attorneys did not return requests for comment.
The case has been set to go to trial early next month. The Monday afternoon court date on Long Island was scheduled only on Friday at the request of both prosecutors and Santos’ lawyers. A letter making the request did not specify what it would be about.
Santos has previously pleaded not guilty to a range of alleged financial crimes, including lying to Congress about his wealth, collecting unemployment benefits while actually working and using campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses.
The 36-year-old was once touted as a rising political star after he flipped the suburban district that covers the affluent North Shore of Long Island and a slice of the New York City borough of Queens in 2022.
But his life story began unraveling before he was even sworn into office. At the time, reports emerged that he had lied about having a career at top Wall Street firms and a college degree along with other questions of his biography.
New questions then emerged about his campaign funds.
He was first indicted on federal charges in May 2023, but refused to resign from office. Santos was expelled from Congress after an ethics investigation found “overwhelming evidence” that he had broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
Santos has previously maintained his innocence, though he said in an interview in December that a plea deal with prosecutors was “not off the table.”
Asked if he was afraid of going to prison, he told CBS 2 at the time: “I think everybody should be afraid of going to jail, it’s not a pretty place and uh, I definitely want to work very hard to avoid that as best as possible.”
As the trial date neared in recent weeks, Santos had sought to have a partially anonymous jury, with his lawyers arguing in court papers that “the mere risk of public ridicule could influence the individual jurors ability to decide Santos’ case solely on the facts and law as presented in Court.”
He also wanted potential jurors to fill out a written questionnaire gauging their opinions of him. His lawyers argued the survey was needed because “for all intents and purposes, Santos has already been found guilty in the court of public opinion.”
Judge Joanna Seybert agreed to keep jurors’ identities public but said no to the questionnaire.
Prosecutors, meanwhile, had been seeking to admit as evidence some of the financial falsehoods Santos told during his campaign, including that he’d worked at Citigroup and Goldman Sachs and that he had operated a family-run firm with approximately $80 million in assets,
Two Santos campaign aides have already pleaded guilty to crimes related to the former congressman’s campaign.
His ex-treasurer, Nancy Marks, pleaded guilty in October to a fraud conspiracy charge, implicating Santos in an alleged scheme to embellish his campaign finance reports with a fake loan and fake donors. A lawyer for Marks said at the time his client would be willing to testify against Santos if asked.
Sam Miele, a former fundraiser for Santos, pleaded guilty a month later to a federal wire fraud charge, admitting he impersonated a high-ranking congressional aide while raising money for Santos’ campaign.
___
Associated Press writer Michael R. Sisak contributed to this report.
veryGood! (4563)
Related
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Wendy's is giving away free chicken nuggets every Wednesday for the rest of the year
- Walmart to host Veterans Day concert 'Heroes & Headliners' for first time: How to watch
- Former top prosecutor for Baltimore convicted in perjury case tied to purchase of Florida homes
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Matthew Perry’s Death Certificate Released
- Video chat site Omegle shuts down after 14 years — and an abuse victim's lawsuit
- Putin and top military leaders visit southern military headquarters to assess his war in Ukraine
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- If You Need Holiday Shopping Inspo, Google Shared the 100 Most Searched for Gift Ideas of 2023
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- The Philippines and China report a new maritime confrontation near a contested South China Sea shoal
- Trump ally Steve Bannon appeals conviction in Jan. 6 committee contempt case
- The 2024 Grammy Nominations Are Finally Here
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- 'The Holdovers' with Paul Giamatti shows the 'dark side' of Christmas
- What is Veterans Day? Is it a federal holiday? Here's what you need to know.
- Protesters stage sit-in at New York Times headquarters to call for cease-fire in Gaza
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
France blames Russia for a digital effort to whip up online controversy over Stars of David graffiti
NY is developing education program on harms of medically unnecessary surgery on intersex children
New Mexico energy regulator who led crackdown on methane pollution is leaving her post
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
High-tech 3D image shows doomed WWII Japanese subs 2,600 feet underwater off Hawaii
Mississippi attorney general asks state Supreme Court to set execution dates for 2 prisoners
Panel to investigate Maine shooting is established as lawyers serve notice on 20 agencies
Tags
Like
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Once dubbed Australia's worst female serial killer, Kathleen Folbigg could have convictions for killing her 4 children overturned
- Week 11 college football predictions: Picks for Michigan-Penn State and every Top 25 game